The Philippines is one of the most visited tourist places in the country. This country is super cheap to travel to. With some research and advance planning, you can even travel around the country for just $20 USD / day. This is what broke-backpackers visiting this country spend. You can camp, hitchhike and enjoy other adventures to derive amazing local experiences. If you have the money and desire comfort, then you can always choose luxurious beachfront resorts, fancy restaurants, etc.
Ways to spend less during the trip to the Philippines
- Buddy up: If you can manage to befriend a group, then you can simply split the cost. This way, you can enjoy most of the activities here.
- Stay with the locals: One popular activity here is Couchsurfing. It is also a wonderful way to come across people as well as to save some precious money on accommodation expenses. Otherwise, you can opt for locally run guesthouses considered to be affordable when compared to hostels.
- Stick to local food: Restaurants are quite expensive. If on a shoestring budget, then avoid these restaurants and visit places that the locals do to have food. You are sure to get tasty food of different types and of the best value. You can ask your guesthouse or hostel staff where they eat. This way, you do not have to compromise on the hygiene aspect or remain empty stomach.
- Hitchhike: It is also a fabulous way to make friends with new people. You also can have an adventure while saving some money. But hitchhiking in any country does come with certain risks that you need to be aware of before you start the trip. It is wise to be safe than to be sorry later. Avoid getting into cars that is driven by people who have crossed their alcohol limits.
- Buy food at the local Convenience Store or Supermarket: You can stock food essentials like food and beverage. These stores are known to offer huge discounts on their products. This way, you do not have to spend more by buying the same items at the local retail stores. The local grocery store offers cheap alcohol. You can find 7-Eleven stores in various towns and provinces, where you can buy rice meals and sandwiches for a small amount.
- Camp: You can find plenty of places to camp. So take along a tent if traveling on a budget. Several beaches all over the country allow tourists to enjoy free camping. You can also come across hostels that will allow you to use their garden to camp. But they might require you to buy something from them like drinks or so.
- Free rides & attractions: There are several free attractions that you can visit and enjoy. This is what has made the Philippines be quite popular among families and solo travelers coming from all parts of the world. You can find open spaces across the country like boulevards and parks. Here, you can enjoy open-air and get the opportunity to mingle with the locals Government-owned attractions such as museums and national parks charge very little.
It is a god idea to get to know the salary grade Philippines 2020 to know the cheap places to travel.