Mumbai is one of the largest metropolises in India, and it possesses a truly unique atmosphere due to its diverse population and vibrant history. Mumbai is a relatively young city compared to others in the Indian subcontinent. Interestingly, much of the landmass that comprises this city was underwater until the sea receded more than three centuries ago. You can stay in Mumbai no matter the time of year and have a memorable experience.
Many of the following attractions can be enjoyed regardless of the season. With a pleasant mix of indoor and outdoor activities, there is plenty to see, any time of the year.
1. Explore Colonial Buildings – The British built many captivating buildings during their time in India. On the southern borders of the city rests Fort St. George, which contains an entire city within its walls. This area boasts pristine examples of neoclassical style, Gothic revival, and Indo-Saracenic architecture. Take a walk around the streets from Churchgate to Colaba to observe beautifully planned and well-maintained buildings from the colonial era. You can also observe the famous Gateway to India, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, and the Police Headquarters in this region.
2. Appreciate Culture at Museums and Galleries – Mumbai hosts some of the most renowned and impressive museums in all of India. Among them are the Kala Goda, the National Gallery of Modern Art, and the Prince of Wales Museum. Each of them displays changing exhibits from notable painters and sculptors, both domestic and foreign. Each of these museums is located in Southern Mumbai, making transit between them easy. Another notable museum is the Nehru Centre Art gallery at Worli, which is dedicated to promising up-and-coming artists.
3. Relax on the Many Beaches – Mumbai has several beaches throughout the city; one is even in the downtown area. However, many of the beaches near the city have water that is quite dirty and unpleasant. Nonetheless, they are still a great place to enjoy games and relax under the sun. Cleaner beaches can be found in Southern Mumbai; however, they are infamous for having strong currents that can sweep away unsuspecting vacationers. Take great caution when visiting this area.
4. Enjoy the Flora and Fauna – Although the majority of the city is densely populated and formed of concrete, there are several parks, zoos, and gardens to be experienced. Mumbai is one of the only metropolises that have an entire national park within its city limits: Sanjay Gandhi National Park. It creates a great escape from the noisy and busy city. Veermata Jijabai Udyan is the city zoo that is also a colonial relic. It has been well-maintained and houses a wide variety of animals as well as plant life. The Hanging Gardens on Malabar Hills provides captivating views of Marine Drive and is worth the visit.
5. Shop at Markets and Malls – One of the most popular attractions to be enjoyed, any time of year, are the markets and malls found throughout the city. Street markets are a great place to buy unique trinkets and taste local flavors. Many malls in the city feature architecture not found anywhere else in the world, due to the rapid expansion that occurred after the British withdrawal.
Enjoy Mumbai, Regardless of the Season
With such a multitude of ways to take in this great city, you do not need to be restricted by the time of year. Between exploring historic buildings, relaxing on the beaches and shopping, you could enjoy this city all year long. With regular flights, trains, and buses, you can reach Mumbai from anywhere in the country.